Following on from my quilt tops - quite literally, as I made this the next day! - I put together another on-the-go organiser. This time for my friend Hannah who I do sewing Wednesdays with (amongst other things). The pattern came from Love Quilting and Patchwork magazine, issue 61.
This was much faster this time around, unsurprisingly. There are so many pieces though! The pattern at times names them oddly (like the 'main fabric' is not the blue outer fabric. That is the 'exterior fabric'). I also ended up cutting out the wrong size for one bit of material, and ran out of it to cut more. Luckily swapping it out for one of the others worked well. My pattern now has notes scrawled all across it!
Unlike last time, I decided to sew this one with the suggested vinyl. I just couldn't resist this rainbow sparkly stuff! The smallest amount I could get is 1m - plenty of vinyl to keep me busy. It wasn't too bad to sew but it was actually really annoying to cut neatly and took several attempts. I'm pleased with the effect though.
I'm glad I cut out the fabric wrong - the panels either side of this were supposed to be the swirly material you can see behind the vinyl. I think having the panels matching the borders of the vinyl looks so much neater (and have now adapted my pattern to reflect this).
I didn't have to unpick until a little bit at the end. I decided to add this fun ribbon (not quite ribbon) rather than the recommended elastic. Once I had turned the organiser out, it turns out the ribbon was on the inside. It took two more attempts to work out how to get it to poke out and be useful, as well as face the right way! I'm glad I did it, but I may use the elastic next time!
Hannah loved it too - which is always a bonus!