Tuesday, 31 July 2018

Pesky Binding

After a really productive and smooth day working on my lap quilt, I decided to do my binding - my first scrappy binding!


I put the binding together. It went really smoothly, and I got the fabric the right way round the whole time; I usually piece some parts together wrong. I was slightly suspicious yet pleased it had gone together so quickly and well. I trimmed the triangles and then popped out.

Cue getting home and realising my mistake - I had managed to sew my binding with the seams on the outside. Argh! So much unpicking. I then had to trim the ends of the material and then re-sew the binding (if there was a way to do this without trimming the ends, please give it a few days before you tell me!).


I then realised the binding would be way too short. I cut out some red and blue fabric that I had had spare that was part of the range and attached that to the binding in a few places - cue yet more unpicking so I could put the new fabrics in randomly.




3 hours (and dinner) later, I finally had the binding on the quilt. As it has been about 33 degrees celsius here (warm for me!), I haven't done the hand binding part yet as  I don't fancy sitting under a quilt!



And after all my worrying about having enough fabric to do the binding, I had this much to spare:


Phew!

7 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

The worst part of binding is attaching it to the quilt........I don't mind sewing it down... ..

Faith... said...

The binding looks great! That stinks that it was stitched on the wrong side though. It sounds like your temps are almost the same as ours. We are in the low 100s F where I live.

ellieshomemadehome.blogspot.com said...

Oh no, hope you get it sorted soon, I hate the heat, 14 degrees is good for me. I love the fabric, Lewis & Irene, I bought the peacock one as I couldn't resist, thanks for sharing ;)

RJ said...

Oh Bethan you must have been frustrated. I know I would. I once made a headboard with a gathered inside piece all around the top of the headboard and the gathering tape had rotted (must have been in that store a long time). Anyway it all fell apart after hours on hours of work. But your binding turned out wonderful. I love the fabric. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

Karen's Korner said...

I feel your frustration. If it is any consolation it does look good. I have to admit that I am lazy when putting on my bindings and they are all machine sewn. I sew them onto the front then turn them to the back and machine stitch down again. When seen from the front it looks like a row of quilting. So much quicker and you are not wrestling with a quilt on your lap for hours in the heat. Do not forget to show us when finished.

Lin said...

Oh dear, how frustrating! In by a whisker then finally. I will email you with some tips on scrappy bindings. xx

Vicki said...

We'll done for continuing with it, judging by my latest mishap I'd have relegated it to the naughty corner!

A Birthday Organiser

Whoops I seem to have missed a Sunday! Sorry in advance for all the comments you will get - I'm using my week off wisely and catching up...