Wednesday, 5 July 2017

Pirate Perfection

This weekend was a very pleasant weekend - 2 days of sewing!

Sunday involved a quick trip out to top up my thread (I ran out just as I ran into backing issues!) - that took a bit longer than planned because I briefly forgot about Sunday opening hours.

I cut and pieced together the backing fix, which I'm really pleased with. However, in the process I caught the end of my finger with my rotary blade. Whoops! Darren cut the finger off a marigold glove to stop any blood coming through the plaster getting any further; I must admit, it did help with my grip on the quilt!



I headed up to my friend Jo's house to do the quilting. It was a lovely afternoon, and made the quilting seem to go a lot faster. I also ended up teaching her some tips and tricks - in particular, the benefits of a walking foot over a normal foot for quilting! I also found she is pretty good at incredibly neat binding - the corners I ended up with during the hand quilting portion were amazing! The neatest corners I have ever had. I will need Jo to sew on my binding for me from now on.




The quilt was completed ready to give on Monday - just before the baby's due date. I was pretty pleased I had finished a quilt before the deadline (a running joke in our family is that we can't get our crafty quilts to the recipients until after they are born/married etc). Annoyingly, baby had arrived early, but I still take my finish as an 'in time' one.



I'm pretty pleased with the quilt - I love the weaving effect blocks. They looked really complex, but once you look at the pattern they are very simple; just very effective! They will be a block I do again!

10 comments:

  1. Bethan this is a pretty quilt for the new arrival, you've done a really good job!
    Sorry about the finger cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I'm impressed I haven't caught my finger before - I won't be doing that again x

      Delete
  2. That's a great finish Bethan. Shame about the finger. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. The finger has healed quite quickly, which is nice x

      Delete
  3. Oh Bethan, how bad that you cut your finger with the rotate blade. I hope it's getting better soon.
    Great quilt finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brigitte - it seemed pretty bad, but a week on and it's pretty much healed x

      Delete
  4. Such a pretty quilt. I hope your finger has healed by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the finger is much better now x

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work, the quilt looks great, despite your wounded finger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jo. I was pretty worried that that would stop me from finishing it in time x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog and leave a message. I will always aim to reply to comments, but can be a little slow. Visit again soon!