Saturday, 1 July 2017

A Calculation Calamity (almost!)

Today has been a Saturday of sewing, pinning, pressing, sewing and a bit more pressing - you know how it goes! It's actually been quite productive and quick, give or take one or two minor unpicks.



I've also been enjoying my new 12 inch square ruler - I got it for another quilt, and this is my second time of using it. I've also been squaring off a lot more, which I have found to be (surprisingly!) quite useful! Also surprisingly, I have found a lot of my blocks have been a very similar size, just a little wonky. That's always a nice feeling!


I managed to get from separate pieces to blocks to a finished top and ready to back and quilt. And that's where it went a bit wrong!

I picked up some lovely backing and binding, based on my calculations of block size at the start of making my quilt. The red stripes are the binding - I'm not looking forward to cutting that material, as it is quite trippy on the eyes!


However, as I lay my backing out on the quilt to just double check, I noticed a problem:


The backing is too small!!!! And a tiny bit too narrow! Arghhhhh!!!

Cue a bit of a grumpy moment, as I had somehow made a quilt much larger than I had planned. Luckily the wadding is just wide enough otherwise teddy might have well and truly gone out of pram! (Have I mentioned this quilt needs to be finished by Monday? Nothing like a bit of time pressure!)

Luckily, big sister and best friend were both there with some advice. Either add some spare material through the centre (and I have a bit of one fat quarter left) or trim the quilt down so it's a bit more narrow and suitable for a pram. I think I'm going for the big sister's idea of the fat quarter split, as it will work well with the backing and I won't loose the front pattern as much (though it may need a tiny trim still). I'm glad I slightly overestimated my fat quarter needs!


And here is the pesky front (sorry for it not being as well-laid out as it could be - I'll get a better one when it's all done!)


Other than calculation errors holding me up, I'm pretty pleased with how this has ended up so far!



9 comments:

  1. How frustrating. A good solution to the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather frustrating - I'm glad I had some people who weren't close (either physically or mentally) to the quilt to give me some perspective x

      Delete
  2. Looking good Bethan. Just what I would have chosen to do with the backing too. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lin. It seems like a good standby for backing as it means I can show off a little more fabric! x

      Delete
  3. The finished quilt is lovely! Pieced backs are all in vogue anyway, so you are just keeping up with the fashion trend. :) Isn't it great that you had some extra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm in vogue with my pieced back :) I normally have spare material because I overestimate - this time I barely had enough so I'm really relieved there was some spare x

      Delete
  4. This quilt looks so good. It seems you have found the perfect solution for you calculation errors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brigitte. It really does seem like the best solution - I really loved the backing and didn't want to have to use something else x

      Delete
  5. I found that squaring up my blocks made things much easier. Took me a while before I came across that tip. Little quilt is quite cute. and the back is now extra special. That's why is so nice to have "miscalculations". Someone is going to be so happy with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog and leave a message. I will always aim to reply to comments, but can be a little slow. Visit again soon!