Sunday, 25 June 2017

A Seaside Start

I finally got an excuse to buy some really lovely pirate/seaside material! A colleague and his wife are expecting their first baby, so of course I have to make them a quilt!


I found a lovely pinwheel block on Pinterest, and decided to use that for this quilt. I didn't have filler fabric to do a traditional pinwheel quilt, so out came the pencil and the rubber, and some amazing coloured pens!




I spent about 2 or 3 hours planning this out, and have tweaked some combinations since doing the original pattern!

This weekend, alongside supervising the Year 11 Prom, having a meal with one set of friends, and going swimming with another good friend, I have managed to get all my big blocks, rectangles and little squares cut out and ready to go!





Please note the notepad - there to carefully track how many of each size block for each pattern I needed! Makes the disappearing nine patch seem far easier now! I also think I'm becoming much more particular with how I lay things out and how I prepare a quilt (not that I wasn't particular before, but I think I'm getting worse!).

In none sewing updates; last weekend I had a bit of an explore of Cambourne whilst Darren had a course there. It's a new build village (there's quite a few down here). It was absolutely gorgeous, and the really hot weekend helped show it off - and also helped me get burnt.




I have also been marking coursework and exams in work for my year 12s - that's mostly all done now, but has kept me away from the sewing a little (mainly because I have felt too guilty to sew in the evening when I had work I should have been doing).


But I did manage to find time on Friday to have a clearout of a lot of resources - I have a rule for home and work clearouts; if I haven't used it for a year, it needs to go. If it's presence surprises me, it definitely has to go! It's awful how much paper I will be clearing out, but at least it will be recycled!


Thank you for reading yet another long post - hopefully there will be more quilt updates during the week! To finish, here is a lovely sunset (well I thought it was anyway) from my bedroom window! Have a lovely week all.


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabrics for the baby quilt. Look forward to seeing the blocks sewn together..
    You have been keep very busy with your school work but it was nice you had a few days away with hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm currently sewing it all together and enjoying how it's looking! x

      Delete
  2. The baby quilt is going to look great with such colourful and fun fabrics! Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I was a little worried that some of the fabrics were muted, but it seems to be balancing out well! x

      Delete
  3. That looks like a fun project Bethan - looking forward to seeing it come together. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm finding it fun to do too! x

      Delete
  4. Such lovely fabrics. I admire people who can quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog and leave a message. I will always aim to reply to comments, but can be a little slow. Visit again soon!