Sunday, 26 March 2017

Sewing End of a Mad Week

As always, with the approach of the end of term, there is a lot of work to be done. Easter term is particularly busy as it is shorter than others, and there is Science Week in it (which, as a Science teacher, I get involved in a fair bit).

So, obviously, in a week with a lot going on and not a lot of time to do it - Ofsted arrive. Yaaaaay. For those who don't know, these are school inspectors that show up for between 1 and 2 days with half a days notice, and come and scrutinise you and the school to judge how good it is. It's an incredibly stressful time, as the school's grade from Ofsted is impacted by your teaching and paperwork (as well as a lot of other things). So that derailed the whole week, as Tuesday and Wednesday night was spent making sure everything was ship-shape for the next day.

And at the end of Thursday, we had a trip to a Chemistry lecture for our year 7s (luckily that was already organised and didn't take too much effort), and parents evening. The Chemistry lecture was very explosive, and a bit of fun for us and the kids - hope you like the pictures! I can't remember what the first was, but the second was a muffin on fire with the aid of super-cooled oxygen, and the third was a giant hydrogen balloon that exploded with enough force to open the lecture hall doors. Brilliant!




So, after this week, my plan has been to spend all weekend cross-stitching. Which I have. It has been so, so relaxing, and feels so well deserved. I decided last weekend (during FNSI) that instead of finishing colour by colour, I was going to try pattern page by pattern page. This is a technique I have seen a lot recently, and I thought I'd try it to see if it feels any faster than colour by colour. I'm not sure whether it is at the moment, but I shall stick to it for a bit. Pleased with the progress this weekend (added a little more after the photo, but this is the most noticeable difference).

  

I hope everyone has had a much calmer week!

6 comments:

  1. I love weekends spent stitching! :) Great progress on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Science was never that exciting when I was at school. Sympathy's for the dreaded Ofsted. Your cross stitch I looking great and sooooo relaxing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea we're really lucky in Cambridge to have access to these lectures. Thank you - the cross stitch made a relaxing end to a mad week x

      Delete
  3. My older son's school's last Ofsted inspection came in the middle of a teachers' strike! Not surprisingly they failed and the Head had to fall on his sword. That was two years ago and they've been academised but have managed to improve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo that's awful that they came during a strike! Glad they have managed to improve though x

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog and leave a message. I will always aim to reply to comments, but can be a little slow. Visit again soon!