Friday, 28 October 2016

Farmyard Finish and a Trip to Sheffield

I managed to finish my lovely farmyard quilt (lovely because of the material) on Tuesday evening. I say evening. More like Wednesday morning. I have developed a bad habit that results in me finishing quilts at 1 am because "there's only a little more to go" - I forget that the tidying up takes a fair while!

I tried out scrappy binding using some of the layer cake squares I had (lovely and flowery) to try and reduce the amount of material I buy and have left over. I did 2 and half inch pieces (width) which is what I usually do, but the binding ended up quite thin in places and I have a bit of a dodgy corner. May go up to 3 inches next time!
 

As always, the Missouri Star Quilting Company binding tutorial helped, and I managed to get it to fit perfectly, again. So thankful for their tutorials!!!

Little sister wasn't much help on her visit, but she did pick the backing fabric, and I must say it is a good choice! I also did my quilting with green thread; I stuck to my usual quilting in the ditch, but I'm proud of how neatly I did it, and how well it matches the backing fabric considering they were bought at different times and not matched. May be braver with thread choices next time (and with visible quilting!)
       


I have also spent the last 3 days in Sheffield, visiting family. My cousin took me and Husband on a long walk through all the forests and parks into the city centre; an absolutley beautiful walk, and it was so surreal being in such picturesque places that felt like rural areas of Wales we have grown up walking through, when actually we were in the centre of a city. We found a bear pit (with my cousins help) in the Botanic Gardens, and went to a lovely wool and fabric shop called Wool Baa; yea, we can't stay away from sewing, especially as my cousin is a big fan too!                                                                                                                                   

6 comments:

  1. A lovely finish and what a great way to use up leftovers by doing a scrappy binding. I enjoyed joining you in your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely think I'll try the scrappy binding again on another quilt.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work on your quilt and I love using scrappy bindings too.
    What a gorgeous walk through the park..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria. I never usually do it because I'm a bit addicted to buying extra material, but I enjoyed the scrappiness.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! One of my favourites so far!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to look at my blog and leave a message. I will always aim to reply to comments, but can be a little slow. Visit again soon!